Wednesday 19 March 2014

DRAFT EVALUATION ACTIVITY 7


Looking back at your preliminary task (the school magazine task), what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to full product?


I think that as a whole, all of my skills of making a magazine have improved.
For example, as you can tell from my photographs I have taken. For my preliminary task, I used my camera phone to take the photo, which was in the school cafe, whereas for my final magazine photographs I took my photos in a properly lit camera room with soft lighting boxes with a professional camera.
Also by the poses I think I have improved, Izzy in my preliminary photo is standing awkwardly eating a naan bread whilst looking towards the camera where as Katy in my final magazine has the element of the male gaze and does not look awkward at all.




 For example, my photoshop skills have improved dramatically. When I was making my mock-up and preliminary task, I had barely used photoshop before, which means that I didn't use a lot of the features on photoshop as I didn't know how. This meant that my preliminary task and my mock-up really only used the basic features of photoshop so they lacked style and were extremely simple. I have learnt how to use photoshop now so my skills have increased dramatically and I can now use all features to their full extent.

I also had never heard of the rule of thirds, which I have used throughout my final magazine. On my preliminary task and my mock up, there was nothing that was eye catching or even central. Everything was too big, especially the barcode. I have learnt the important parts of a cover page. In my preliminary task my barcode was massive and it didn't have a date or an issue number on it, I have changed this for my final magazine.

For my masthead in my final piece, it took quite a long period of time to find a font that I think suited my magazine cover and my contents page as I needed a font that was not too thick so that it did not cover Katy's face. This shows I have improved from my mock up as the WHOA is way too thick and takes away from Rihanna's face. Also, in my preliminary task the colour of the masthead does not quite fit with the picture, it doesn't stand out enough for me. This shows that I needed to spend time finding a balance between the two.

For my wardrobe in my preliminary task, I had Izzy just wear her normal clothes. She had her bag and her lanyard on, this I don't think is acceptable for a magazine cover. In my final piece, I thought long and hard about what to have Katy wear as I realised how important it is to style my model.

In my preliminary task, I did not think about the background and just used the background of the picture, which was the cafe. This really took away from Izzy as there are other things to concentrate on in the picture, not just the model. I really improved this in my final magazine as I got rid of all backgrounds and shadows to make sure that Katy is the main thing to look at on my cover.






No comments:

Post a Comment