Thursday 30 January 2014

Article

This week we caught up with this years MTV Hottest New Artist Katy Lewis. Her Debut album Disconnector was number one in the UK for 6 consecutive weeks as well as her Debut single "Deny It" taking control of the charts for an outstanding 9 weeks! She talks about her single, her album, her fans, going on tour and a possible collab with Miley Cyrus! Aren't we lucky?

- Hi Katy, so nice of you to come talk to us today! How you feeling?
Hey! I feel great, I love interviews, I love to talk about myself [laughs] Is that bad?
-Not at all! [laughs] 
Good! Don't want to sound too big headed!  
- Lets talk about the Grammys? You recently won a Grammy award for Best New Artist. How did that feel?
That felt incredible! I was so humbled to even be nominated as I have only recently released my album. I didn't expect it at all, I think it just shows that with the right support, you can do anything.
- To be up against artists such as Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Ed Sheeran and Kendrick Lamar must have been such a high achievement in your books.  I'm sure you were more than flattered..
I absolutely love Ed Sheeran, his album is incredible. To think that I was even in a category with him blows my mind. I am just so grateful to everyone who voted for me as I couldn't have been happier with the result 
- What is it like to be a "role model" for girls?
Role model? Really? I couldn't imagine myself being a role model for anyone. That seems quite strange and almost ridiculous for me! To think that girls think of me as a role model is wow [laughs], unbelievable. 
- You have been pictured with female pop sensation Miley Cyrus a few times. Do you see a collab in the future? 
Miley has helped me a lot through my music career, she actually helped me produce my first single "Deny it" which was a great honor as she has really done well in her career recently. I think working with her has really helped me realise what I could achieve in the music business.. but anyway [laughs] yeah, I could see a collaboration with Miley in the future, we have quite a similar taste in music and I think it could be something awesome
- I'm sure we'd all love to hear that! 
You did a bunch of single release shows all over the UK, how were they for you?
They were beyond amazing! I felt so close to my fans, I got to see and hear what they thought of the single, which was great as I got loads of different feedback on it, it also made me finally realise that I have fans all over the UK, which is so fab! I loved touring, having my tour family was such a great experience, I had so much fun and it made me even more excited ////// for my Disconnecter tour next April 
- Was the response you received from fans what you expected or was it all a bit of a shock for you?
Of course it was a shock! I'm just a small girl from Birmingham with a dream and it was such a shock to see that people actually enjoyed my music! I've been trying to make it in the music industry for almost 4 years now and to see this album and single receive such great feedback is such a weight off my chest, I love it!
- Since you've released the album, have you realised anything that you would change about the album?
I wish I had spent more time in the studio, perfecting it. I am such a perfectionist when it comes to my music, I am never happy! As I was doing my single release shows and was on tour, I didn't get to spend as much time writing and recording as I had hoped. But maybe thats just me being, well... me [giggles] 
- What made you want to have a career in music?
I have always been facinated with music. Whilst I was growing up, music was kind of forced on me by my parents, I took up so many musical instruments and I loved it. I was always that musical kid, that's who I was. I will forever be grateful for my parents for giving me such an amazing life, I would honestly not change a thing. 
- Giving that you've got quite a unique sound, who would you say your musical influences were?
I like to think my uniqueness means I can't be compared to anyone. I have music artists that I like, for example I am utterly in love with Bruno Mars, as much as I hate to admit it! His voice is like heaven. I'm also quite into old music, I like Luther Vandross, Stevie Wonder, Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston, which is quite a surprise to some people, listening to my music [laughs]. 
- How was it for your album to be number one for so long? 
It was incredible! Like I said before, I never expected any of this. I just want to thank my fans for all the support and love they have given me, I appreciate every single one of you. I can't wait to share my journey with you!
- So, when can we see you next? 
I'm starting my new mini tour around the UK in 3 weeks. So hopefully I will see you there! 
- Look forward to it! 

Follow Katy on twitter @KatyLMusic or on Facebook.com/KatyLewisMusicOfficial
ALBUM OUT NOW!

1 comment:

  1. At the end of the article, you would need to add details about when and where she can be seen/heard, is she playing at a gig or festival? When is an album coming out etc
    Does she have a twitter account/my space etc

    ReplyDelete